Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Credit Where It's Due

I have gotten my understanding of life from the study of the Bible and of Science and Health, with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy. Every truth I come to goes back to there, and I find it said there, such that I suppose I could use all words from those books, instead of my own. But that would fail to illumine the process of my thought – that I’ve come to feel these things are true not by adopting them from the books but by finding them out on my own. In fact, this is the clear directive of both Jesus and Mrs. Eddy. Jesus told his followers to do as he did. Mrs. Eddy enjoins her readers, “see for yourself.” The ideas you see here are me thinking and striving to live the truth, working to understand myself and the world, getting dirt under my fingernails and juice down my elbows, reading and experiencing all kinds of things and attempting to pull them all in to the unity of thought that I feel exists here.

I will say you can find everything about Truth in those books, but not just by reading them. You have to have an intense personal quest to know what is true. You have to follow that. You have to be willing to think it through on your own, using your daily experience as a laboratory and testing things out for yourself. Then you will get it.

No comments: